Sunday, November 30, 2008

Genuine Thanks

Obviously, Thanksgiving is a time to be reminded of all the blessings we have in our lives. In my life, I have MUCH to be thankful for. After my mother got sick late this spring, I really wanted to spend a holiday with the Davidson family out in Oregon. I figured Thanksgiving would work better for us because of the weather and Bohnert farm help who wanted to take time off for Christmas. My parents always liked having a full household for the holidays. The children's laughter, food galore, good company from family and friends. And with sister Ginger having the babies...this was going to be THE BEST THANKSGIVING EVER!

Well, not quite. A week after the triplets were born, the day that we arrived in Central Oregon, Saturday November 24th, my father had a massive hemoragic stroke. We rushed him to the ER in Bend and still to this day, he remains in the intensive care unit. The hospital is one of the best on the west coast, the doctors and nurses are top-notched and everyday that we were out there, we spent numerous hours in the hospital visiting both my father and the triplets. For now though, I just pray for my father to recooperate and for my mother to remain strong and healthy.

For those of you that don't know my dad, he is one of a kind. He grew up poor, but always had a strong soul and knew he would build a better life. He did just that. He joined the marines, graduated with a degree in Agricultural Economics from Oregon State University and dairied for nearly 40 years. Of all his successes, he is most proud of his personal ones. He married my mother, an admiral's daughter over 44 years ago. Together they had six children and fifteen grandchildren. He raised us strictly, to behave well, to respect elders, to strive for your dreams, to be honest and loyal and to laugh! We all did just that.

As my mother said the blessing this Thanksgiving holiday, she nearly swelled up with tears, as we all did, because she was thankful for us to all be home and to be with her during this difficult time. All my sisters and our families smile--because through our family's tragedies and triumphs, through mountains and miles, we've remained close. Because of this closeness, we will be able to stick together, pray together and hope for a recovery for our father.

The good side of it all is the children. Don't they always put things into perspective? During what might of been one of the most shocking disarray in our lives, the kids never skipped a beat. The older ones understood that grandpa was sick; the little ones not so much. But, all the kids played hard, smile often and made us grown-ups appreciate all our blessings in our lives.

For those of you that have shown your sympathy, prayed for my family and been there for me and my family; thank you!
Tyler makes a new BFF with cousin Colby!
Tyler had his first sleepover at Cade & Colby's house!

Lynn's kids all grown-up! Trenton, Emily & Rebecca
Mary & Maggie...cute as can be!
K & Emily pose for a quick snapshot!
Josiah (far left) brought his newest b-day gift, Nitando WII, which was a crowd favorite.

No comments: