Sunday, June 21, 2009

Saluting Dad

This is what I wrote my father on father's day!



Dear Dad:
Happy Father’s Day to a father I have always admired and looked up to. I have many good memories with you in it. From days of playing a game of pick up in the front yard, to racing you with the tractor in the back 40 to waiting up with Mary for you to get done milking, so we could get jelly beans. Awe, those were the days.
I know the teenager and early 20’s lasted longer than you liked with me. I was always one to push the bucket and cause you grief. Thankfully Pat was the one that actually turned your hair grey, but I am sure I added to the wrinkles and frustration. Sorry for all of that.
Looking back, I realize that I was so blessed to have you for a father. You grew up poor, but always had a strong soul and knew you would build a better life. You did just that. You joined the marines, graduated from Oregon State University (as did I) and dairied for nearly 40 years. Through all your successes, you are most proud of your personal ones. You married mom, an admiral’s daughter nearly 45 years ago. Together, you two had six children and fifteen grandchildren. You raised us strictly, to behave well, to respect our elders, to strive for our dreams, to be honest and loyal and to laugh. We all did just that.
Your story is quite known throughout the countryside. Your stories have been told and your lessons have been shared. People feel like they know you, as if you were their father or their friend. Your character, big smile and soul stretch for miles on end.
Life makes its uncertain twists and turns. You and mom know that better than most. Through it all, you have been able to hold your head high, laugh and carry on. Watching your strength and spirit has shaped me for the better. It has allowed me to face my own uncertainties and struggles with the same character and strength—and I for one am most grateful.
So here is saluting you, Robert Morris Davidson, a man who I am blessed and honored to call my dad, but also lucky to call my friend. I hope this Father’s Day you realize how much I love you.
Love you always & forever,
Your daughter, Karen

No comments: